If you’ve moved away from home to come to Leeds Metropolitan, you can register with one of the many surgeries in the local area. You can find a GP using the NHS Service Finder.
You can now text one number to get information on a wide range of health services including local pharmacies, doctors and Minor Injuries Units. By texting one of the following key words to 64746 you can find out where your nearest service is:
• Doctor (for GPs)
• Walk (for walk-in centres)
• Dentist (for dentists)
• Pharmacy (for pharmacy)
• Accident (for A&E departments)
You can download the free Choose Well app available for iPhones and Android. The app enables you to find the nearest and most appropriate NHS service within Yorkshire and the Humber region at the simple touch of a button.
You can also contact the West Yorkshire Urgent Care service on 0845 605 99 99 for details of where to go for help on a number of health-related issues.
Some of the more common medical needs you may have are listed below:
• Minor illness such as coughs, colds and 'flu can often be treated at home. Get lots of rest, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids and speak to your local pharmacist about over-the-counter remedies.
• Emergency contraception is available at pharmacies, your GP or one of the contraception and sexual health services – find your nearest by visiting leedssexualhealth.com
• Injuries such as sprains, bruises, minor burns and minor breaks (such as broken fingers) can be treated at walk-in centres and Minor Injuries Units.
• Medication and repeat prescriptions can be distributed by your GP and local pharmacies.
• Dental problems can be dealt with by an NHS dentist in Leeds. To find your nearest dentist, ring the Leeds Dental Advice Line on freephone 0800 298 5787.
If you notice any of the symptoms of meningitis, seek medical help immediately. For information on how to recognise the symptoms of meningitis and what to do, download the Health Protection Agency factsheet or go to the NHS Choices website.