Cycling is one of the most popular ways to get around Leeds and there is lots of information and facilities available.
Where can I hire a bike from?
We have our own student bike hire scheme - Velocampus Leeds. You can hire a bike for £35 for a semester or £50 for the whole academic year. Each bike comes with lights and a security lock.
How to Get a Bike
- Bikes can be collected from our Velocampus Bike Hub (on the University of Leeds campus but only a few minutes walk from the Rose Bowl).
- The hub is normally open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 12.00 - 16.00 but is open for extended hours during Welcome Weeks, 10.00-16.00, Mon - Fri from the 10th of September until the 3rd of October.
- Take your Student ID or proof that you have registered with the University, payment and a valid email address and mobile phone number.
Charges and Payment
A hire agreement needs to be signed and the hire fee and deposit paid on receipt of the hire bike. Hirers need to look after the bike, ensuring it is maintained in good condition.
- Up to a full academic year: £50.00
- Up to 1 semester: £35.00
- Short term hire 1 week: £20.00 (each additional week £5.00)
- £100.00 returnable deposit is required for all hire and payments are by cash, cheque or the online store in advance.
We strongly recommend that insurance is taken out on the bicycle.
Our Velocampus Leeds Bike Hire is part of a project called UTravelActive. Find out more about the bike hire, bike hub and the UTravelActive project, including volunteering opportunities, at www.leedsmet.ac.uk/utravelactive
How do I plan my journey by bike?
What facilities are there for students cycling to uni on campus (cycle parking, showers, lockers)?
- Cycle parking, showers and lockers can be found on both campuses.
- To request access to secure cycle parking contact email@example.com
- Secure cycle boxes for day hire are available at City and Headingley Campuses. There is a £20.00 deposit required and keys can be collected from Security Helpdesks in the entrances to Leslie Silver Building, City Campus and James Graham, Headingley Campus.
- Emergency spares such as a pump and puncture repair kit is also available to borrow from Security Helpdesks.
Where can I fix my own bike on campus?
Our Velocampus Bike Hub offers everything you need to maintain your bike, including tools, maintenance classes and cycling skills sessions.
How can I become a more confident cyclist / learn to ride my bike more safely?
You can sign up for a cycle training course and learn safe cycling techniques at the Velocampus Bike Hub. A variety of courses are available, from beginner to expert. The first session is free if you hire a Velocampus bike.
Can I take my bike on trains?