Cycling is one of the most popular ways to get around Leeds and there is lots of information and facilities available.
Where can I hire a bike from?
You can hire a bike from Velocampus Leeds for a semester or the whole academic year. Each bicycle comes with lights and a security lock.
Bicycles can be collected from the Velocampus Bike Hub on the University of Leeds campus. The hub is open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 12.00 - 4.00pm. Charges and Payment:
A hire agreement needs to be signed and the hire fee and deposit paid on receipt of the hire bike. Hirers need to look after the bike, ensuring it is maintained in good condition.
- Up to a full academic year: £50.00
- Up to 1 semester: £35.00
- Short term hire 1 week: £20.00 (each additional week £5.00)
- £100.00 returnable deposit is required for all hire and payments are currently by cash or cheque.
We strongly recommend that insurance is taken out on the bicycle.
How to get your bike:
- Go to our Velocampus Bike Hub on the University of Leeds campus (open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 12.00 - 4.00pm).
- Take your Student ID or proof that you have registered with the University. We will require a valid email address and mobile phone number.
- Our staff will find a bike that is right for you.
- Pay your hire fee + £100 deposit cash or cheque.
How do I plan my journey by bike?
What facilities are there for students cycling to uni on campus (cycle parking, showers, lockers)?
- Cycle parking, showers and lockers can be found on both campuses.
- To request access to secure cycle parking contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secure cycle boxes for day hire are available at City and Headingley Campuses. There is a £20.00 deposit required and keys can be collected from Security Helpdesks in the entrances to Leslie Silver Building, City Campus and James Graham, Headingley Campus.
- Emergency spares such as a pump and puncture repair kit is also available to borrow from Security Helpdesks.
Where can I fix my own bike on campus?
Our Velocampus Bike Hub offers everything you need to maintain your bike, including tools, maintenance classes and cycling skills sessions.
How can I become a more confident cyclist / learn to ride my bike more safely?
You can sign up for a cycle training course and learn safe cycling techniques at the Velocampus Bike Hub. A variety of courses are available, from beginner to expert. The first session is free if you hire a Velocampus bike.
Can I take my bike on trains?
Rachael Elliott Transport Co-ordinator email@example.com