The IMTS Purchasing service includes purchasing support for desktop computers, laptop computers, mobile devices, tablets, computer software peripherals, Audio Visual equipment and any IT related tenders.
Our service processes the majority of all IT, Telecommunication and Audio Visual purchases and offers guidance on what products will best meet your needs. The majority of purchases are installed and supported by our Service Delivery and Help Desk teams.
This service works in accordance with the University Purchasing policies and regulations that state all IT, telecoms and AV purchases should be made through the IMTS purchasing team who can:
- Ensure best value for money on IT related procurement based on realistic whole life cost estimates including support and maintenance.
- Ensure IT related purchases are compatible, secure and supportable.
- Manage risks associated with third party supply including physical, information security and reputational risks.
- Manage all the above with respect to the general regulations governing public sector procurement.
- Understand changing user requirements and to communicate new opportunities and technologies as they arise.
Purchasing Mobile Devices, Phones and Communications Equipment
Basic Mobile Phones and PDAs
Where a good quality basic phone is required without a camera and other functions, please supply an IR1 order form for a "free of charge" mobile, quoting the user's name.
In the case of a requirement for an item which does not fall into either of the above categories, please telephone the Comms Team on x23119 (0113 812 3119) and we will endeavour to suggest a suitable piece solution.
Mobiles do NOT have International access as standard. If this is required it must be specified on the IR1 order form and agreed by a senior budget holder.
The Telecommunications Team have mobiles which can be hired for £5.00 per week plus calls (at the standard rate charged to us) plus VAT. Please ring x23119 to check availability.
Mobile Devices Service Costs
Smartphones and PDAs are configured to synchronise directly with the university e-mail system. This allows real time updates of e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes wherever you are. For more information on this service please contact a member of the Support and Operations team on x23427.
Approval is required for the purchase of Apple equipment such as iPhones or iPads. Please see the approval guidance below.
Mobile Device Price and Specification List
Apple Approval guidance
Purchasing PC's and Laptops
There are many different types of software licence. The two main licences that we deal with are:
- Site licence - means we can install the piece of software on any machine on our campus.
- Single user licence - means that for each computer a licence is required for the software to be installed.
For either option we recommend that you please contact IMTS Purchasing to confirm the software list, availability and suitability of an application.
How to Order from IT Purchasing
To order new equipment
- Decide which equipment you need.
- If you do not know the price of the equipment, ask for a quote by contacting IMTS Purchasing either by telephoning x23069/x25470 or emailing the IMTS-Purchasing mailbox.
- Contact your budget holder to ask them for permission to purchase the order. They should advise you on the relevant budget code you need.
- If the item is to be recharged, Complete the left hand side of the IR1 Form and get it signed by your budget holder. Send the form to us at IT Purchasing, 301 Woodhouse, City Campus
- If recharging is not required, send an email to the IMTS-Purchasing mailbox including quantity and description of goods, the cost and budget code.
- IMTS will only support hardware purchased through IMTS. This means we will not support equipment that users purchase themselves.
- All purchases made by IMTS Purchasing follow the university's financial purchasing guidelines.
- Orders are only placed upon the submission and receipt of a fully completed IR1 (green Internal Recharge form) or an email to the IMTS Purchasing mailbox.
- All orders over £5000 (except for perishable and annual license renewals) should be submitted as a capital spend.
- Recharging is usually only required for Adobe licences and some cables which we hold in stock
- IMTS Purchasing create a Requisition for the goods on the Agresso System on receipt of a valid order
- The Budget holder needs to authorise the Requisition online in Agresso for a University Purchase Order to be generated and sent to the Supplier. Budget Holders are reminded of outstanding Requisitions via automatic emails.
- Budget Holders have authorised deputies to approve requisition on their behalf when they are absent