Training and Development for SMEs
Business Leads at Leeds Met is an exciting new training and development programme designed to support Small and Medium sized Enterprises in the Yorkshire and Humber region.
'Clusters' of up to 15 regionally-based SME owners, managers, leaders and entrepreneurs will meet regularly to explore work-related issues, develop action-based solutions and participate in a range of tailored master classes to support future business development.
Benefits to your business include:
- The opportunity to discuss issues affecting your business and develop solutions in a confidential atmosphere with like-minded owner-managers drawn from a variety of industry sectors.
- Develop your skills and knowledge through the Business Leads master class series.
- Gain access to other services to business provided by the University, such as its Guest Lecture series.
- The cost per business is currently only £800 for the full programme thanks to funding from the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HIFE).
What the program includes
- An introductory ‘Networking Event’ designed to prepare participants for the programme. Participants will be asked to consider and audit their specific training and development requirements and the University will match businesses and training providers, both in-house and external in the interactive workshops that follow.
- Six three-hour Interactive Workshops delivered for the specific ‘Cluster’ as a result of the audit of SME business needs identified at the ‘Networking Event’. Workshops can include, but are not limited to, topics such as SME Strategy, Public Relations & Marketing, Finance & Accounting, Human Resource Development, Commercial & Employment Law, Information Technology, Social Media, Event Management, etc.
- Six two-hour Peer Learning sessions with up to five SMEs per group. These will support the development needs of each and every business and are guided with input from a highly experienced Facilitator. Peer-to-peer group learning is widely acknowledged as being one the most effective sources of support for smaller developing companies.
"Running a business can be quite a lonely experience, with my employees and co-directors often telling me what I want to hear and certainly not challenging me enough in my decision making. That IS how it should be in a business but not necessarily the best thing FOR a business. Peer learning has given me the opportunity to develop a network of ‘Critical Friends’, with whom I can be challenging and challenged. We choose our agenda, learn, laugh have some full and frank conversations, and together we have grown our businesses through good times and bad."
Managing Director of The Works Recruitment
Co-founder of the Business Alliance network
What are the fees for this program?
Leeds Metropolitan University is committed to supporting the development and prosperity of the regional economy by directly supporting SMEs. The Business Leads initiative, working in partnership with the Higher Education Innovation Fund, provides a excellent opportunity for our region’s small and medium-sized businesses.
What does that mean in real terms to SMEs? In the first year of operation, participants will be offered a bursary of up to of 60% of the fee courtesy of HEIF, paying no more than £800 per place on the programme. The normal fee for participation has been set at a deliberately accessible level for a range of participants at £2,000 in the first year of operation. This discounted price offers outstanding value for money for a high quality training and development programme, and equates to around £65 per session (normally £150).
Where do I go from here?
If you are part of a small or medium sized enterprise (defined as any business with up to 250 employees) and want to find out more about the programme of support then please contact:
- Ted Sarmiento
Senior Lecturer & Business Leads Project Manager
Leeds Business School,
Room 503, Rose Bowl, 1 Portland Gate,
Leeds, LS1 3HB
Tel: 0113 812 1733