Facts and figures
- We have 29,000 students in total
- International students come to us from over 100 different countries around the globe
- Over 9,000 part time students enjoy flexible study opportunities with us
- Over 3,000 students are currently on Leeds Metropolitan University programmes abroad
- We have 3,100 post graduate students
Our university employs just over 2,800 staff, making us one of the most significant employers in the region - around half of these are academic staff.
Leeds is the UK's largest centre for financial and professional services outside London, with more than 30 national and international banks located in the city. Our university turns over £171m per annum and our impact on the economy is worth around £350m per annum.
Research and Enterprise
- Our staff worked with over 2,900 organisations in 2010/2011 including SMEs; large companies; charities and not for profit concerns.
- We have 387 research students, almost all of whom are studying for a doctorate. In the academic year 2010/2011 41 students received their doctorate.
- We earned over £15M in research and enterprise income in academic year 2009/2010 including consultancy; collaborative research; short courses for industry and commerce and research income from charities.
- Our business start up service has helped to launch 41 new business in the past three years.
Our university achieved its best ever Research Assessment Exercise results in the most recent research assessment exercise (RAE). Sports-Related Studies, including sports science; tourism; leisure studies and events management is in the top 6 institutions in the country with research rated as including 'world leading' activities at the highest levels of 4* and 3*. Art and Design, and Library and Information Management were also assessed to have 'world leading' research.
In recent years our university has awarded honorary degrees to Geoffrey Boycott, Dame Fanny Waterman, James Caan and Alexander Skarsgard among others.