Equality & diversity
At Leeds Metropolitan University we are committed to providing a vibrant, ethical and sustainable working environment that values equality and diversity.
This commitment exists alongside our legal and moral obligations to provide an inclusive environment for our staff, students and members of the public who may be affected by our activities.
In order to achieve this aim we undertake, so far as is reasonably practicable, to:
- implement equality and diversity arrangements that are considered best practice and that comply fully with relevant equality and diversity legislation as it applies to our activities;
- develop and implement strategies and plans for developing and sustaining our equality and diversity performance;
- ensure the equality and diversity of our staff and students is a consideration in operational decisions thereby becoming an integral part of the way we manage the university;
- provide information and training to ensure an appropriate level of equality and diversity competence and compliance amongst our staff and students;
- consult and liaise with our trade union colleagues, treating them as partners to ensure effective communication, co-operation, and engagement on equality and diversity matters;
- provide expert assistance to support our managers and staff meet their equality and diversity responsibilities;
- provide suitable and sufficient resources to meet the objectives we have set out in this policy statement;
- regularly monitor, audit and review the effectiveness of this policy and amend accordingly.
For more information about Equality & Diversity at our University please download our Public Sector Equality Duty Compliance Report or visit the Equality and Diversity Staff pages (Internal-only).